This vegetarian (and optionally vegan) recipe is a really easy way to get your greens and vegan protein fix, and served with some brown rice it's a perfectly balanced meal. Although it doesn't look that great, I assure you the taste compensates!
My recipe was based on one by Pinch of Yum which can be found here.
VEGAN PALAK PANEER
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried coriander leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 inch ginger, grated or 2 tsp ginger paste
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped coarsely
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp coconut oil/EVOO
- 400g firm tofu, cubed (or 200g tofu and 200g feta cheese for non-vegans!)
- Salt to taste
1. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the spices and allow to cook for another minute.
2. Add the chopped spinach and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer this mix from the saucepan into a blender and blend until desired consistency (I don't like mine completely smooth but it's up to you!)
4. Meanwhile in a separate pan, heat the other tbsp of coconut oil and fry the tofu/feta until lightly browned. Remove from heat when it's done.
5. Transfer the spinach mixture back to the saucepan, and add salt, bay leaf and coconut cream. Mix and cook on a med-low heat for about 6-8 minutes.
7. Add the tofu/feta cubes and cook for another two minutes before removing the bay leaf and serving.
This curry is great straight away but can also be reheated for lunch the next day!