My vegan mac and 'cheese' is so creamy and rich, but is made sans dairy and oil. The creaminess comes from sweet potato, so whilst it feels indulgent, it's actually healthy! Nutritional yeast is used to give the sauce that 'cheesy' taste (whilst also adding to the impressive nutritional content) and I used corn pasta to make this recipe completely gluten free. This recipe serves two, so it's great for making leftovers for the next day!
VEGAN MAC AND 'CHEESE'
- 1 cup steamed peeled sweet potato (about 1 medium sweet potato)
- 3 cups soy milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp tamari (soy sauce can be used too)
- Splash of lime juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn pasta (or pasta of choice) for 2 serves - left unspecified as everyone's version of '1 serve' of pasta is different! This recipe makes ample sauce so the only thing that really differs is the sauce:pasta ratio x
- Put all ingredients except for pasta, spinach, salt and pepper in food processor or high powered blender (I used my VitaMix) and blend until desired consistency. I blended mine for a while as I like a really creamy sauce.
- While sauce is blending, cook the pasta according to directions on the packet.
- Taste sauce and add salt and pepper.
- Add chopped spinach to pasta sauce, which should be still warm from the steamed sweet potatoes. If the sauce has cooled, simply heat it up on the stove again before stirring through spinach.
- Mix sauce and cooked and drained pasta together, and enjoy!
Chopped mushrooms would also make a delicious addition to this dish!
Hope you like it,