This doesn't taste exactly like the sugar-and-butter-laden traditional apple pie, but it's got all of my favourite elements - the soft cooked apples, the sweet juicy sultanas and the perfect mixture of spices. The coconut oil and coconut sugar give this recipe a subtly sweet and buttery flavour so it still has a sense of being a dessert, but it's so much healthier than the traditional alternative!
APPLE PIE BAKED OATMEAL RECIPE
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup water/non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp melted coconut oil (optional but gives it a delicious buttery taste!)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed or chia seeds (optional - add an extra 1/4 cup liquid if you add this)
- 1 apple chopped into cubes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of ground clove
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 1 tsp coconut sugar/sweetner of choice (optional)
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220C and line a ramekin with baking paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and add in the liquids, stirring to combine.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until set, and broil on high for about 5 minutes to get a crispy top (as this is vegan it doesn't matter if it's still "raw" in the middle, so the cooking time depends on your preferences - I sometimes take it out after about 20 minutes so it's a little bit undercooked because it's so gooey and delicious!)
- Top with any toppings you like and serve! I like mine as is and drowned in rice/coconut milk (in a kind of bread-and-butter pudding way) but it's completely up to you!