In Western Australia, pumpkin puree is incredibly difficult to source, so I made this dish by using pre-roasted pumpkin from a dinner I made the other night. I just diced it and put it in the oven for about 30 minutes and this softened it up nicely. I then blended it with a bit of rice milk (you can use your milk of choice, coconut cream or water) until it was a pureed texture. Of course if you have pumpkin puree readily on hand, by all means use that and save yourself the effort!
PUMPKIN PIE OATMEAL
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (rice/almond/soy are great with this recipe, as is canned coconut milk or watered down coconut cream)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of allspice
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or to taste)
- Crushed pecans and coconut (toppings)
- Place all ingredients except for maple syrup and toppings in a saucepan and heat on high. Stir until all liquid is absorbed into the oats (5-10 minutes)
- Take the oats off heat and add maple syrup, tasting while you go.
- Top with crushed pecans and coconut flakes. Other great toppings include walnuts, coconut cream/coconut yoghurt, coconut sugar, figs and bananas.
- Wait for it to cool and dig in!
Let me know how you like it!