This recipe is perfect for chilly wintry days as the chai spices and pudding-like texture of the oats warm you from the inside out, and the gooey cooked dates provide a subtle sweetness. Add the flaxseed and coconut oil for your extra healthy fats in addition to the coconut and this bad boy will keep you full for hours!
COCONUT CHAI BAKED OATMEAL
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk/water
- 1/2 tsp melted coconut oil (optional but gives it a real buttery taste!)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar/maple syrup (or raw organic honey for non-vegans!) (optional)
- 2 dates, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes/shredded coconut
- Toppings of choice - I suggest banana, stewed apple, chocolate chips or coconut!
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Mix all the ingredients together and pour the mixture into a ramekin, lined with baking paper.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes or until set, and put it under the grill/broil on high for 5 minutes - this is what gives it that beautiful crunchy golden top!
- Remove from the oven and serve with toppings of choice, and a bit of extra non-dairy milk if you like (I used rice milk and find this makes it seem really pudding-y)
Feel free to make a big batch in advance for busy mornings by doubling/tripling/whatever the recipe!