I've made baked oats a few times in the past but they ended up pretty average (I blame my awful oven!) but today I felt ready for a challenge - and it was worth it! Today's oats were so chewy and moist, but still had a crunchy top, and the spices and flavours were spot on. I made a serve for my mum as well and she loved it, so this one could be a good recipe for Mother's Day. I can already tell that this recipe will become a staple in my winter breakfasts!
BANANA BREAD BAKED OATMEAL
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 chopped banana
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk/water
- 1/2 tsp melted coconut oil (optional but gives it a real buttery taste!)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg - this may be too much nutmeg for your liking, so start with 1/2 a tsp
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar (or raw organic honey for non-vegans!)
- Small handful of chopped walnuts/pecans
- Any toppings you like - I suggest coconut cream, fresh banana, cacao nibs, peanut butter, berries, vegan dark chocolate chips/shaved chocolate or a raw cacao and coconut oil sauce
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Mix all the ingredients together and pour the mixture into a ramekin, lined with baking paper.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes or until set, and put it under the grill/broil on high for 5 minutes - this is what gives it that beautiful crunchy golden top!
- Remove from the oven and serve with toppings of choice, and a bit of extra non-dairy milk if you like (I used rice milk and find this makes it seem really pudding-y)
This recipe is great because you can just make a big batch in advance by doubling/tripling/whatever the recipe, which makes it perfect for busy mornings! Hope you all like it as much as I (and my mum) did!